Library of the Belvedere
The Belvedere Library is a historical collection of around 120.000 items (books, magazines, auction catalogues, and new media) on all subjects connected with the visual arts. We attempt to obtain a copy of all literature about Austrian art and to make it available to our users. Apart from purchasing and exchanging items, the Library regularly receives interesting and valuable donations from the art business and private individuals.
Our library is staffed and available to anyone interested in art. The staff would be pleased to provide any research assistance that it can.
Main focuses of the Library:
- Austrian art and art history from the Middle Ages to the present, particular fin-de-siècle art
- National and international exhibition catalogues
- Literature on museums, exhibition galleries, and other institutions (annual reports, inventory catalogues, museum guides)
- Literature on individual artists (exhibition catalogues, monographs, catalogues of work)
- Literature on the history of the Belvedere and on Belvedere exhibition projects
- Works on art theory, secondary literature, reference works
- Recent and historic art journals
- Auction catalogues from the early nineteenth century onwards
- Literature on Art Brut starting with the donation by Leo Navratil in 1995 and continuously enlarged since then
We are also in the process of digitizing our most important holdings. The magazine Ver Sacrum as searchable PDF files and selected catalogues of the Wiener Secession, the Künstlerbund Hagen, the Galerie Miethke and the Kunstsalon Pisko are already available digitally (Library eBooks)
The engraved work of Salomon Kleiner is available in the digital collection.