21er Haus – Museum of Contemporary Art

Since 2011, the 21er Haus has been home to the Belvedere’s contemporary art collection, and has hosted countless international temporary exhibitions. The architecture of the museum’s brightly-lit, open and airy spaces guide visitors through both a comprehensive overview of 70 years of artistic production in Austria and the exposition of important international viewpoints. A venue for performative interventions, film screenings, themed lectures, concerts and artists talks, the 21er Haus offers a platform for the local art scene to commune with an engaged audience. An exploration of contemporary art and topics of the highest social relevance are central to its multifaceted program of exhibitions and diverse outreach programs.

Awarded the Grand Prix d’Architecture, the museum was initially constructed by Viennese architect Karl Schwanzer for the 1958 Brussels World Expo. Its sleek formal structure, glass halls and use of fresh building materials class the pavilion as a prime example of modern architecture.

Under the name “20er Haus”, it was opened in Vienna in 1962 and quickly established itself as a definitive site for the exposition of modern and contemporary art in Vienna.

The building remained empty for a time starting in 2001 and eventually a student of Karl Schwanzer named Adolf Krischanitz was awarded the contract to renovate this former architectural jewel in 2007. In November of 2011, the museum was finally able to celebrate its reopening with its new name, the “21er Haus”. 

Visitor Information

Opening Hours

Wed: 11 am to 9 pm
Thu – Sun: 11 am to 6 pm
Open on public holidays

Contact
+43 1 795 57 770


Address
Quartier Belvedere, Arsenalstraße 1, 1030 Vienna

Getting here
Station Quartier Belvedere
Train & S-Bahn
Tram D, 18, O
Bus 69A